Revitalise your home gallery with this easy and effective project.
Quick project guide
Hard labour: 1/10
Skill level: 3/10
Time needed: ±30 minutes
• brush to apply adhesive
• clean soft-bristle brush
• soft cloth
• old frame with bevel detail
• gilding size
• gold leaf (available at craft stores such as The Deckle Edge)
• Annie Sloan Dark Wax
1. Paint a thin coat of gilding size on the entire surface of the frame, and set aside for 15 minutes until tacky.
2. Place a sheet of gold leaf on the frame and smooth it out with the soft-bristle brush; repeat until the entire frame has been covered. Set aside for an hour.
3. Use the cloth to apply the wax over the gold leaf to create an antique look.
By Shelley Bergh
Photographs Francois Oberholster