- Apply at least three coats of Clear Glaze – even more if the surface is exposed to direct sunlight and rain. The glaze makes it UV- and water-resistant.
- Allow at least half an hour between the application of each layer and wait about 48 hours before use.
You will need
- Paint Master’s water-based Primers & Undercoat (or any good quality primer)
- Tjhoko Paint in these colours:
- Stencil of Paris
- Tjhoko stencil – we used a round one in the exact same size as our cement ‘stumps’
- Tjhoko Paint Clear Glaze
- 2 x 50mm paintbrushes
- 50mm paint scraper
- mutton cloth
1 Paint the raw cement surface with Paint Master’s water-based Primers & Undercoat and leave for about 2 hours.
2 When the primer is dry, apply 2 coats of the base colour (we used Sherif’s Stone).
3 Wait until the Sherif’s Stone feels dry to the touch and then apply acoat of Vinia Stone, followed by a layer of Silver Moon, using the dry-brushtechnique (dip just the tip of your brush in the paint).
4 Mix 5ml Vinia Stone with 1 pot of Stencil of Paris to tint the paste slightly. Place thestencil on the seat of the stump and spread the Stencil of Paris over the stencil with the paint scraper. Make sure you have applied it evenly and then lift the stencil from left to right while the paste is still wet. Wash the stencil and paint scraper immediately with lukewarm water.
5 Wait about 4 hours for the paint and Stencil of Paris to dry and harden completely before applying the glaze. Dilute the Clear Glaze by 30% with water. Dip a damp mutton cloth (about the size of a dishcloth) in the glaze, squeeze out any excess moisture and wipe the glaze evenly over the entire surface.
To make similar cement seats, use an old half-drum. Place a wooden box upside-down inside the drum and pour cement around it – this will ensure that your ‘stump’ isn’t a solid cement block, making it much easier to move around.Wait until the cement has set,then cut the drum open with an angle-grinder and remove the box. Voila, outdoor seats!
Visit tjhokopaint.co.za for Tjhoko Paint’s exciting stencil range, and to locate your nearest stockist.