Treat your pet to something special on Garden Day (Sunday 17 October).
A flower collar is easy to create, beautiful to behold, and can be made to match your own flower crown, ensuring your four-legged friends are part of your Garden Day celebrations.
YOU WILL NEED
• measuring tape
• hot glue gun
• floral tape
• fresh flowers
• decorative ribbon
1. Measure your furry friend’s neck or one of their collars. You should be able to comfortably fit two fingers between the measuring tape and the neck. Then, add a few centimetres on the end for tying.
2. Cut five pieces of string to match the length measured in step one.
3. Lay the strings side by side to create a single piece, then use a hot glue gun to stick them all together. If you want a more convenient collar, you can glue these string pieces onto an existing collar – just make sure that it’s narrow enough for your string to cover the entire width.
4. Take your fresh flowers and trim the stems until they’re only 1–2 inches long; choose blooms that are non-toxic to pets. Create little bundles of flowers then wrap the stems together with floral tape.
5. Attach your flowers to the collar with floral tape: position the bundles against the collar and wrap more floral tape around the stems and the collar in one go.
6. Continue sticking the flower bundles onto the collar until you’re satisfied with the look.
7. Now it’s time to add your personal embellishments. You could take a decorative ribbon and glue it to any gap in the collar or, if you’ve chosen to use an existing collar, hide the clasp with some floral finery.
Tip: Fresh flowers can easily wilt, so leave making your flower collar for the morning of Garden Day, or the night before. Once you’re happy with your creation, tie it onto your furry friend, take a pic, post to social media and tag @GardenDaySA and @tuishomemag, and remember the hashtags #GardenDaySA and #tuishomemag.