Photographs Ed O’Riley
• Alcolin Contact Adhesive
• sponge cut to the same size as the bench top
• fabric of your choice (The batting and fabric should be at least 25cm longer and wider than the bench top.)
• adhesive applicator
• staple gun
We unscrewed the top from
the bench before we started.
1. Apply Alcolin Contact Adhesive to the surface of the bench top and the sponge with the applicator. Let it get tacky for about 5 minutes. Position the sponge on the bench top and apply some pressure.
2. Place the bench top in the centre of the batting, with the sponge facing down. Fold the batting over and staple it in place on all four sides. Cut any excess away.
3. Repeat step 2 with the fabric. Fold a seam at the edge of the fabric. Staple the opposite sides first and stretch the fabric tight as you go. Start in the middle of each side and work your way to the corners. Once you’ve done all the sides, fold the corners neatly, as you do when wrapping a gift, and staple the fabric in place.
Screw the bench top back in place.