Upcycle old crates to make a handy home bar, perfect for afternoons on the stoep.
Photographs ER Lombard
You will need
- 2 x wooden crates
- 1 x piece of timber (same size as the two crates next to each other)
- 2 x hinges
- 0.5m chain
- 2 x eyelet screw-in hooks
- 1 x latch
- Woodoc Water-Borne FLOOR Clear Matt
- Woodoc Colours in Ebony
- mixing container
- stirring spatula
1. Decant about 150ml Woodoc Water-Borne FLOOR Clear Matt into the mixing container. Add some of the Woodoc Colours (Ebony) and stir well.
2. Apply two coats of the mixture you made in step 1 to one side of the timber and the outsides of the crates. Let the sealer dry between coats.
3. Screw the two crates together with the long sides facing each other.
4. Attach the piece of timber with the hinges to the crates.
5. Use the chain to measure and mark where to attach the eyelet hooks. Attach the hooks on the marks. Attach the chain to the hooks.
6. Close the lid and attach the latch at the top with screws.
7. Seal the unsealed wood with three coats of Woodoc Water-Borne FLOOR Clear Matt, letting the sealer dry between coats. Also apply one coat of clear Woodoc Water-Borne FLOOR to the sections sealed with the Ebony mixture to complete the three coats.