Flavoured with fresh herbs, spices and Westfalia Avocado Oil, these aromatic plant-based ‘meatballs’ are delicious! The fresh pickle and creamy Westfalia Guacamole bring all the elements together.
Falafels with a fresh pickle and guacamole
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 x 410 g cans chickpeas, drained
- 20 ml (4 tsp) each ground cumin and coriander
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) each ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 60 ml (¼ cup) each chopped fresh coriander and Italian parsley
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) cake flour
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- salt and pepper
- Westfalia Avocado Oil for frying (use a mixture of Garlic and Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil to your preference)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Westfalia Lemon Flavoured Avocado Oil
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) apple cider or white grape vinegar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) honey
- ½ medium cucumber, halved and very thinly sliced
- 100 g broccoli, cut into very small florets
- ¼ red onion, very thinly sliced
- 125 ml (½ cup) plain double-cream yoghurt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon zest
- pinch of ground cumin
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) chopped fresh herbs, like Italian parsley, mint or coriander, or a mix of herbs
- 1 x 200 g tub Westfalia Spicy or Plain Guacamole
- baby salad or herb leaves
- fresh avocado, if in season
1. Falafels: Add the lemon juice and half of the chickpeas to a large mixing bowl. Blend with a stick blender until it forms a smooth mixture. Add the remaining chickpeas, zest, spices, herbs, flour and eggs.
2. Mash the chickpeas with a fork or a potato masher until a chunky mixture forms. Stir through and season with salt, pepper and more lemon juice, if preferred.
3. Heat a thin layer of the avocado oil mixture in a frying pan over medium heat. Add spoonfuls of the falafel mixture and flatten slightly with a spoon. Fry on both sides until golden brown and cooked. Drain on paper towel and repeat with the remaining mixture.
4. Pickle: Mix the avocado oil, vinegar and honey in a bowl until well combined. Season to taste with pepper. Toss cucumber, broccoli and red onion into the oil mixture until well coated and allow to stand for 15 minutes. Toss through once more, while marinating, to coat all the veggies in the mixture.
5. Yoghurt sauce: Mix the yoghurt, zest, cumin and herbs together. Just before serving, gently swirl the yoghurt mixture into the guacamole but don’t mix completely.
6. To serve: Spread some of the yoghurt sauce in serving bowls, top with 3-4 falafels per bowl and add a handful of baby salad or herb leaves. Enjoy with the veggie pickle and fresh avocado (if in season).
1. Make larger falafels and serve as vegetarian patties in burger or slider buns or pitas. Assemble with the yoghurt sauce, pickle and fresh salad ingredients of your choice.
2. The falafels are perfect to add to a platter, or pack for a picnic or in a lunch box. Enjoy with the yoghurt sauce as a dip with toasted pitas, fresh veggies and the pickle.
Follow the @avoexperts on Instagram for more.
Westfalia Fruit are the #AVOEXPERTS. Their quality avocados are what they use to produce a range of delicious avocado products, allowing you to enjoy the goodness of avocados year-round. Think versatile, convenient and wholesome.
Their avocado oil is 100% pure and ideal to use for any cooking method, whether you’re roasting, frying or baking. There are four flavours in the range: Plain, Lemon, Garlic and Butter.
Each tub of Westfalia Guacamole is made from about two ripe avocados and packed with healthy goodness. Choose from any of the three flavours in the range – Plain, Spicy or Sweet Chilli Salsa – to use as a convenient dip, spread or sauce.
Whether you cook, bake or pack a picnic or lunch box, make Westfalia Fruit – the #AVOEXPERTS – part of your weekly meals.
Follow @avoexperts on Instagram for recipe inspiration and everything avocado.