From jam to pickle, these recipes are packed with flavour!
Fruity plum jam
• 700g plums, stoned and chopped (or other stone fruit such as apricots or peaches)
• 500g Huletts White Sugar
• juice of 2 large lemons
• 2cm fresh ginger, chopped
1. Start the evening before: mix all the ingredients together in a plastic container (or another non-reactive vessel such as a ceramic bowl) and allow it to stand; this ensures that the sugar melts slowly.
2. The following day, place the mixture in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved. Now cook the jam over medium heat for about 25–30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
3. To test if the jam is ready, spoon a little onto an ice-cold saucer and press it lightly with your finger. If the surface crinkles, it’s ready. Spoon into sterilised jars and seal.
Delicious on boerie rolls!
• 15ml olive oil
• 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 sweet peppers, diced
• 1 chilli, chopped
• 700g ripe plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
• 65ml Huletts SunSweet Brown Sugar
• 45ml apple cider vinegar
• black mustard seeds
• bay leaf
• salt and pepper to taste
Place a large saucepan over medium heat, add the olive oil and gently fry the carrots, onion and sweet peppers until soft and glossy. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until a thick relish forms. Spoon into a sterilised jar and allow to cool. The relish will keep for up to a week in the fridge, if covered with a little olive oil.
• 1 red onion, finely sliced
• 1 bunch radishes, washed, trimmed and finely sliced
• 1–2 carrots, peeled and finely sliced
• 125ml apple cider vinegar
• 125ml Huletts Castor Sugar
• 80ml boiling water
• 5ml each salt and mustard seeds
• 15ml pickling spice
• 1 bay leaf
Layer the prepared vegetables in a hot, sterilised jar; pack them in tightly. Put the vinegar, sugar, water and spices in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Boil for two minutes then immediately pour over the vegetables. Seal and allow to cool. Place in the refrigerator to mature for ± one week before using. It’s delicious with burgers and tacos as well as an accompaniment to roast meats.