- 4.00pieces - Black Forest ham or rindless bacon
- 1.00pinch - salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4.00sprigs - fresh rosemary, leaves stripped and chopped
- 2.00cloves - garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.00handful - Parmesan cheese, grated
- 125.00ml - thick cream
- 4.00 - red onions (tennis-ball size), peeled
- 60.00ml - olive oil
1. Cook the onion in sufficient water for about 15 minutes, or until slightly softened. Remove from the water and allow to cool. Use a sharp knife to remove the top 2,5cm of each onion. Chop this finely and set it aside. If necessary, you can cut the bottom of the onion so that it can stand upright. Carefully hollow out each onion by removing a tablespoon of flesh. Chop this finely. Preheat the oven.
2. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chopped onion, garlic and rosemary. Fry it until soft and add the thick cream. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
3. Twist a strip of ham or bacon around each onion and fasten it with a sprig of thyme. Place the onions in an oven dish and spoon the chopped-onion mixture into each one. Bake the onions for about 25 minutes and serve hot.