- 500.00ml - self-raising flour
- 80.00ml - cake flour
- 2.50ml - bicarbonate of soda
- 125.00ml - brown sugar
- 60.00ml - maple syrup
- 100.00ml - chocolate shavings
- 160.00ml - overripe bananas, mashed
- 2.00 - eggs, beaten
- 250.00ml - buttermilk
- 80.00ml - oil
- 100.00g - extra bananas and brown sugar for garnishing
- 30.00g - Creamed Cheese Frosting: butter, at room temperature
- 60.00g - smooth cottage cheese
- 5.00ml - vanilla essence
- 325.00ml - icing sugar
1. Grease six to 12 small loaf tins.
2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the maple syrup, chocolate and banana, followed by the egg, buttermilk and oil. Don't overmix.
3. Divide the batter among the loaf tins and garnish with banana slices and brown sugar. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and done. Leave the loaves in the tins for a few minutes before turning them out.
4. Prepare the frosting: Cream the butter, cottage cheese and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar. Either frost the banana loaf or serve with the frosting on the side.