- 3.00kg - fresh broad beans (about 1,5kg once shelled)
- 45.00ml - olive oil
- 2.00 - onions, finely chopped
- 3.00 - carrots, finely chopped
- 3.00 - celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2.00 - leeks, white parts only, chopped
- 2.00 - potatoes, peeled and diced
- 125.00g - rindless bacon, chopped
- 2.00 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 4.00ml - salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500.00ml - home-made chicken stock
- 100.00ml - olive oil (for garnish)
- 100.00g - Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
2. Add the potatoes, bacon and garlic and stir-fry for another minute or two before adding the broad beans. Stir-fry the beans until they are covered with vegetables and oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Add just enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil and simmer the vegetables for about 20 minutes or until the beans are soft. Add more stock if necessary.
4. Pour half the soup into a food processor and process to form a thick purée before returning it to the remaining soup in the saucepan. Add more chicken stock if the soup is too thick.
5. Place the soup in bowls, drizzle olive oil over each one and, finally, garnish with Parmesan cheese.