- 500.00g - Dough: white bread or cake flour
- 5.00ml - instant yeast
- 2.00ml - salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 300.00ml - lukewarm water
- 30.00ml - olive oil
- 1.00 - Topping: whole garlic bulb, roasted until soft (or use chopped garlic if you are in a hurry)
- 60.00ml - olive oil
- 4.00ml - salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400.00g - broccoli florets, blanched
- 20.00ml - fennel seeds
- 2.00 - red chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- 30.00ml - lemon zest
- 100.00g - pine nuts (optional)
- 200.00g - mozzarella cheese, drained and cut into slices
1. Prepare the dough: Mix the flour, yeast, salt and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the middle and add the lukewarm water and olive oil. Mix thoroughly with your hands to form a dough, the sides of the mixing bowl must be clean. Add more water, if necessary. Place the dough on a flour-dusted surface and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. (A mixer with a dough hook will make this task easier.)
2. Allow the dough to rise in a warm place until it has doubled in volume. Knock down the dough and divide into three. Roll each dough ball out thinly (to approximately the thickness of a pancake) and place on greased baking trays. Cover the dough circles with greased clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 15 minutes.
3. Press the soft garlic out of the bulb and mix it with olive oil to form a thick paste. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and spread a layer over the pizza bases.
4. Divide the broccoli between the bases and sprinkle the fennel seeds, chilli, lemon zest and pine nuts over the bases. Place the mozzarella slices on top, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and bake the pizzas until crisp, golden brown and done. Drizzle with extra olive oil as soon as the pizzas are removed from the oven and serve hot.
Makes: three 23cm pizzas