- 20.00 - cardamom pods
- 820.00ml - flour
- 715.00ml - castor sugar
- 5.00ml - salt
- 10.00ml - baking powder
- 5.00ml - bicarbonate of soda
- 10.00ml - ground cinnamon
- 400.00ml - peanut or sun flower oil
- 4.00 - large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5.00ml - vanilla essence
- 100.00g - walnuts, chopped
- 375.00ml - dessicated coconut
- 400.00g - carrots, cooked and mashed
- 150.00ml - Coconut Icing: coconut cream
- 960.00ml - icing sugar, sifted
1. Grease an ovenproof dish of 24 x 30 x 5cm and line with greased baking paper.
2. Cut the cardamom pods open with a sharp knife, remove the seeds and crush slightly with the blade of a chef's knife. Sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
3. Beat the oil, eggs and vanilla essence and pour into the well. Mix slowly. Fold in the rest of the ingredients and transfer the mixture to the prepared oven dish. Bake in a preheated oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and done. Remove from the oven, turn out and allow to cool on a wire rack.
4. If necessary, cut the top of the cake to make it even and then cut into 18 squares.
5. Prepare the icing: Mix the coconut cream and icing sugar to form a spreadable mixture. Ice each square and leave to stand for a while before serving.