- 250.00ml - chicken stock, preferably home-made
- 15.00ml - gelatine, sprinkled over 30ml cold water
- 15.00ml - pink peppercorns
- 15.00ml - green peppercorns
- 15.00ml - butter
- 15.00ml - olive oil
- 1.00 - onion, chopped
- 1.00 - garlic clove, crushed
- 30.00ml - chopped sage
- 1.00kg - chicken liver, cleaned
- 125.00ml - orange liqueur
- 125.00g - cold butter, cubed
1. Pour the stock into a saucepan and heat over a moderate temperature. Remove from the plate, add the gelatine and stir until dissolved. Stir in the peppercorns. Pour the mixture into a 27 x 7 x 8cm loaf tin lined with cling film and refrigerate until set.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat and stir in the onion, garlic and sage. Stir-fry over a moderate heat until the onion is soft and shiny.
3. Add the chicken liver and stir-fry until sealed. Pour in the orange liqueur and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the brown bits. Simmer until almost all the liqueur has cooked away. Transfer the mixture to a food processor, add the butter and pulse to form a smooth purée. Pour the mixture over the set gelatine in the loaf tin and level with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate until set, turn the pâté out onto a serving platter and cut into slices. Serve with whole-wheat bread and balsamic onions. Makes 1 loaf tin.