Prep Time: 10
Cooking Time: 60
- 45.00ml - olive oil
- 4.00 - onions, cut into thin slices
- 1.00 - thumb-length piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.00 - red chilli, chopped (remove the seeds if preferred)
- 1.00 - bay leaf
- 125.00ml - water
- 15.00ml - salt
- 200.00g - sugar
- 80.00ml - red wine vinegar
Delicious with cheese for something a little different.
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion until soft and transparent. The heat should be moderate so that the onion fries slowly without turning brown.
2. Add the ginger and chilli and stir-fry for about a minute. Add the bay leaf and water and simmer until the water has evaporated. Add the salt, sugar and red wine vinegar and allow to simmer for 30 minutes (without a lid), or until thickened. Allow to cool and place in a clean, sterilised jar. Store in the refrigerator. Makes 200ml.