- 200.00g - whole almonds
- 200.00g - pecan or walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 300.00g - mixed glazed fruit, chopped
- 100.00g - dried figs, chopped
- 150.00ml - cocoa, sieved
- 5.00ml - cinnamon
- 2.50ml - nutmeg
- 1.00ml - ground coriander
- 1.00ml - ground cloves
- 1.00ml - white pepper
- 100.00ml - cake flour
- 80.00ml - honey
- 190.00ml - sugar
- 50.00ml - water
1. Preheat the oven. Grease a 22 x 22cm square tin with butter and line the bottom with greaseproof baking paper.
2. Place the almonds and pecans or walnuts on a baking tray and roast until golden brown. This takes about 10-15 minutes ? be careful not to burn the nuts. Allow to cool and chop coarsely. Put the nuts, fruit, figs, cocoa, spices and cake flour in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
3. Heat the honey, sugar and water in a saucepan and stir continuously until the sugar has melted. Use a wet brush to remove the sugar crystals that form along the sides. Bring the syrup to the boil as soon as the sugar has dissolved and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Add the syrup to the dry ingredients and mix to form a firm dough.
4. Press the dough into the prepared tin and press the top down evenly with the palms of your hands. Bake for about 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool and sieve castor sugar over. Makes one 22cm cake.