- 30ml - butter
- - salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg, to taste
- 700g - Mediterranean potatoes
- 250ml - cream
- 2 - garlic cloves, bruised
- 1 - onion, chopped
- 2 - eggs
- - generous handful of fresh herbs such as parsley, thyme and chives, chopped
- 30ml - dried breadcrumbs
- 125ml - parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat the oven.
Peel the potatoes and boil them until almost soft, then drain and slice.
Melt the butter in a small frying pan and sauté the onion until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for a minute or so.
Beat the eggs, cream and half the Parmesan together. Add the herbs and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Spoon the potatoes into a greased baking dish and top with the onion.
Pour the egg and cream mixture over, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake for about an hour until golden.
For an interesting variation, cook turnips, carrots or parsnips with the potatoes, but make sure the quantity remains 700g.