- 1.00handful - fresh basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1.00 - small onion, finely chopped
- 1.00piece - thumb-size piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 5.00ml - ground coriander
- 750.00g - Chicken curry: chicken-breast fillets or deboned, skinless chicken thighs
- 6.00 - green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 400.00ml - chicken stock
- 15.00ml - fresh lime juice
- 4.00 - Green-curry paste: lemon grass stems
- 15.00ml - Thai fish sauce
- 5.00ml - ground cumin
- 3.00 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 1.00handful - fresh coriander leaves, roughly torn
- 250.00g - button mushrooms, halved
- 8.00 - lime leaves
- 400.00g - coconut milk
- 5.00ml - lime zest
- 15.00ml - Thai fish sauce (Nam Pla)
- 15.00ml - bottled green peppercorns
- 45.00ml - oil
- 1.00handful - fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Remove the outer leaves of the lemon grass stems and finely chop the soft inner part. Place in a food processor, along with all the other ingredients. Pulse everything to form a coarse paste. Place this in a jar or plastic container that seals properly and refrigerate until required.
2 Prepare the chicken curry: Cut the chicken into bite-sized cubes. Heat the oil in a saucepan and quickly seal half the cubes until golden-brown all over. Do the same with the other half, remove and then fry the mushrooms in the same saucepan.
3. Add the coconut milk, stock and lime leaves to the mushrooms. Also add 60ml green-curry paste, as well as the fish sauce, peppercorns and half the basil and coriander. Bring the sauce to the boil, then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the chicken cubes to the curry sauce. Stir in another 15ml green-curry paste. Heat until warmed through and remove the saucepan from the heat. Stir in the remaining herbs and serve with basmati rice.