- 8.00 - large potatoes
- 2.00Litres - sunflower oil for deep-frying
- 5.00ml - salt
- 2.00 - Aïoli (garlic mayonnaise): plump garlic cloves
- 2.50ml - salt
- 2.00 - egg yolks
- 300.00ml - olive oil (or use half sunflower oil, half olive oil)
2. Pour the oil into a deep saucepan and heat it to 150°C. (You can also test the oil by adding a potato slice: if it sinks, the oil is not hot enough.) Remove the slices from the water, place on a clean cloth and dry them as much as possible. Place half the quantity of slices in the oil and fry them for 5 minutes or until soft ? they shouldn't change colour. Remove the chips with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen towel and fry the other half. Set the chips aside until you are ready to fry them for a second time before serving.
3. Prepare the aïoli: Peel the garlic cloves and crush them with about 2,5ml salt to form a smooth paste. Add this garlic paste and the egg yolks to a food processor or mixing bowl. Initially you should add the oil slowly ? literally drop by drop ? while beating continuously. Once the sauce begins to thicken you can start adding the oil in a thin, steady stream. Once all the oil has been added, you should have a thick mayonnaise that forms stiff peaks.
4. Heat the oil to 185°C. Again add only half the slices and fry them for 5 minutes or until they begin to change colour and turn crisp. Occasionally stir the chips through the oil to ensure an even colour. Repeat with the second batch. Drain the chips quickly on kitchen towel, season with salt and serve with the aïoli.