- 300ml - buttermilk
- 2 - eggs
- 500ml - self-raising flour
- 125g - butter, melted and cooled
- 180ml - brown sugar
- 80ml - instant-coffee powder
- - coffee grains (to sprinkle on top)
- - mascarpone cheese (to serve)
- 100g - hazelnuts, roasted and ground
Sift the self-raising flour into a large mixing bowl, then add the brown sugar and hazelnuts.
Beat the coffee powder and buttermilk until the grains have dissolved. Beat in the eggs and butter. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until it has just mixed. Spoon the batter into the cups of the muffin pan and bake for about 20 minutes. Allow it to cool.
Cut the tops off the muffins, spoon some mascarpone inside each one and replace the lids. Sprinkle the coffee grains on top and serve.