Preparation time: 30 minutes
Oven temperature: 180°C
Cooking time: 1 hour
• 8 apples
• 100g soft butter
• 75g (95ml) brown sugar
• grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
• 160ml sultanas
• 25ml brandy
• 45-60ml slivered almonds, roasted
1. Preheat the oven. Core the apples and use a sharp knife to make an incision in the peel of each apple about a third of the way from the top: this will prevent the apples from bursting open while baking.
2. Grease an oven dish with about 15ml of the butter.
3. Mix the rest of the butter with the remaining ingredients, spoon into the apples and bake for about an hour. Drizzle syrup into the bowl and serve with cream or custard.