Makes: 6 portions
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Oven temperature: 180°C
Cooking time: 15-20 minutes
• 6 large tomatoes
• 10ml olive oil
• 250g rindless bacon, chopped
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 leeks, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, chopped
• 200g spinach, chopped
• 30ml pesto
• 150g feta, diced
• 30g fresh white breadcrumbs
• salt and black pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven. Slice the top off each tomato and spoon out the flesh. Turn the tomato upside down so that all the liquid runs out.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove from the pan and drain on paper towels. Fry the onions in the pan until soft then add the leeks, garlic and fry for a few more minutes.
3. Add the spinach and stirfry until soft.
4. Add the pesto, bacon, feta and breadcrumbs to the spinach mixture and season with salt and black pepper.
5. Spoon the filling into the tomato shells and place on a greased oven dish. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through and the tops are golden brown.
WINE SUGGESTION: The tangy tomato flavour, along with the bite of the rocket pesto, will be perfectly offset with a tropical sauvignon blanc.