- 15ml - each olive oil and butter
- 100g - almond slivers
- - a pinch of truffle salt (optional)
- 3 - medium-sized potatoes, diced
- 1L - quality stock
- 2 - sprigs thyme
- 1 - medium-sized cauliflower, chopped
- - a large knob (30ml) butter
- - a generous pinch of fresh nutmeg
The butter and potatoes make the soup creamy without having to add cream or milk, and a pinch of truffle salt adds an exotic flavour.
1. Melt the butter in a large pot and fry the chopped cauliflower until fragrant. Season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in the potatoes and fry for a few minutes. Season with the thyme and nutmeg and add the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to low and simmer with the lid on for about 30 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked.
2. Melt the butter and oil together in a small pan and fry the almonds until golden-brown.
3. Blend the soup until smooth with a stick blender. Taste and season with the truffle salt and freshly ground black pepper. Garnish with the almonds and the melted butter from the pan. Serve with fresh bread.