Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 avocado
- your favourite chilli sauce (optional)
- 4 bread rolls
- baby salad leaves
- gherkins, cut in half lengthwise
- a sprinkling of sprouts
- homemade pickled butternut
- 1 tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 140g baby marrows, coarsely grated
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 5ml salt
- 15ml sesame oil
- about 60ml flour, plus extra
- 1 egg, beaten
- about 45ml olive oil for shallow-frying
1. Make the patties: Place the chickpeas in a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork to form a coarse purée. Squeeze out all the moisture from the baby marrows and add to the chickpeas, along with the spring onions, lemon zest, salt and sesame oil. Sprinkle the flour over and mix in the egg. Shape the mixture into four equal balls and flatten into patties. Dust the patties with a little flour – this makes a lovely crispy crust
2. Shallow-fry the chickpea patties in the olive oil over moderate heat until crispy on the outside and cooked through.
3. Mash the avocado and season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and chilli sauce. Spread a thick layer on the bottom half of the four rolls. Now add as much mayonnaise and as many salad leaves, gherkins and sprouts as desired. Top with the patties and tuck in. We made pickled butternut to serve with this – try it!
Place about 150g butternut ‘spaghetti’ in a mixing bowl with a sprinkling of fresh oregano, salt and pepper. Add a chopped chilli if you like a bit of a bite. Dissolve 60ml sugar in 100ml boiling water and add 60ml vinegar. Pour over the butternut and allow to cool. Set aside for about 1 hour before serving with your burgers.