- 400g butter
- 250ml sugar
- 10ml vanilla essence
- 500g dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 2 packets Marie biscuits, crushed
- 1 packet fine coconut
1. Place the butter, sugar, vanilla and dates in a saucepan and melt over low heat. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
2. Stir in the egg yolks and salt. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the biscuits. Allow the mixture to cool slightly but keep it relatively warm as the coconut clings to the balls better when the mixture is still warm.
3. Roll the mixture into walnutsized balls, then roll the balls in coconut to coat them. Store them in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer and serve at room temperature.
Liezl’s tip: I roll the balls in batches, draining excess butter on wax paper before coating them in the coconut.