- 1kg - ready-made bread dough
- - about 45ml olive oil
- 1 - small red onion, cut into 5mm rings
- - about 15 black olives, pitted
- 1 - red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 - green chilli, thinly sliced
- 12 - cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 2 - spring onions, cut into long, thin slices
- - a few sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- - sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- - olive oil and balsamic vinegar, to serve
1 First arrange all the topping ingredients in a floral design on a chopping board – use the tomato wedges to create red-hot pokers on long stems; the olives, chilli and parsley to make daisies and so on, until your design is more or less how you want it.
2 Knock down the ready-made dough to eliminate the air. Grease a baking tray (35 x 40cm) generously with olive oil and flatten the dough in it into an even layer, about 1.5cm thick (it will rise again slightly). Preheat the oven to 200°C.
3 Transfer your topping design to the flat bread, then leave to rise until it doubles in volume.
4 Bake the flat bread until cooked and risen (depending on the thickness, about 30 minutes). Allow to cool on a wire rack. Season the bread with salt and pepper and serve with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping.