Makes 16-18 doughnuts
Preparation: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Resting time: 2½ hours
- 4 x 250ml (4 cups) cake flour
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) mixed spice
- 5ml (1 tsp) salt
- zest of 1-2 oranges
- 1 x 10g sachet of instant yeast
- 60-125ml (¼ to ½ cup) sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 2 eggs
- 10ml (2 tsp) vanilla essence
- water, as needed
- oil, for deep-frying
- 125ml (½ cup) desiccated coconut and 60ml (¼ cup) castor sugar, for rolling
1. Mix the flour, cinnamon, salt, orange zest, instant yeast, mixed spice and sugar in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre.
2. Beat the milk, eggs and vanilla essence together and pour into the well of the flour mixture. Mix with a fork and add little a water as needed until it forms a sticky dough.
3. Turn the dough out onto a greased surface and knead until smooth and elastic – add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
4. Roll the dough into a ball and place it in a clean bowl. Cover and leave to rise in a warm spot for 2 hours or until it has doubled in size.
5. Knock down the dough gently, divide into two equal portions and roll each one into a sausage. Cut into 5cm pieces and arrange on a greased surface. Cover with a tea towel and leave for 30 minutes to rise again.
6. Heat enough oil in a saucepan for deep frying. Fry the dough balls in batches until golden-brown and cooked through. Drain on paper towel.
7. Roll the hot doughnuts in coconut and castor sugar. Serve hot or at room temperature.