Makes: 4 portions
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 3 eggs, separated
- 150ml milk
- 250ml cake flour, sifted
- 5ml baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cooked, whole mealies, kernels sliced off
- 4 rashers rindless bacon, grilled crisp
- maple syrup
1. Beat the egg yolks. One by one, add the milk, flour, baking powder and salt, while beating continuously to form a thick, smooth mixture.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture.
3. Using a non-stick frying pan, spoon small quantities at a time of the mixture into the pan and fry until golden brown and firm underneath. Sprinkle mealie kernels on top of each flapjack and flip, then cook until firm and golden-brown on the underside too.
4. Serve with bacon and maple syrup.