Makes 4 portions
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45–60 minutes
- 1 spatchcock chicken (about 1.3kg)
- 200g butter at room temperature
- 3 fresh red chillies, seeded and chopped
- 30ml olive oil
- 30ml lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 10ml paprika
1. Loosen the skin of the chicken, using your fingers to lift the skin from the flesh; it’s easiest around the breast and thighs.
2. Mix the butter, chillies, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and paprika to form a paste and rub this all over, under the skin; use the remaining paste to season the chicken on the outside, then add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place the chicken, skin side up, in the kettle braai. Cover and braai for about 45 minutes until cooked and golden brown.
• Cut the chicken on both sides of the backbone with kitchen scissors and remove the bone.
• Place the cut chicken on a work surface, skin side up, and flatten it with the palm of your hand.
• Weave two kebab sticks so they cross over through the butterflied chicken – this ensures the chicken maintains its shape.