These pork neck spirals look great and taste delicious. Substitute the roasted pepper with peppadews if you’re short of time.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 800g whole pork neck
- 100g salami
- 2 red sweet peppers, roasted and skinned
- 100g green olives, chopped
- a handful of fresh basil
- 60ml balsamic vinegar
- 45ml olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves stripped
1. Using a sharp knife, butterfly the pork neck. Cover with cling film and flatten the meat with a meat mallet. The thickness of the meat should be as even as possible.
2. Arrange the salami in a layer on top of the meat, followed by the sweet peppers, and then sprinkle the basil and olives over the top; season with salt and pepper. Roll up the meat tightly and secure with sosatie sticks 3cm apart. Cut between the sticks to make individual portions. Whisk the sauce ingredients together and drizzle generously over the meat.
3. Braai the spirals over moderate coals until cooked through or oven-roast for about 30 minutes at 200°C. Baste continuously with the sauce. Serve with a tomato and watermelon salad.