Makes: 8 pies
Preparation time: 1 hour
Baking time: 30–35 minutes
SOUR CREAM PASTRY
- 500g cake flour
- 50ml sugar
- 5ml salt
- 200g cold butter, grated
- 15ml fresh lemon juice
- 300ml sour cream or crème fraîche
- 500g minced pork
- 250g bacon bits, fried till crisp
- 2 Granny Smith apples, grated
- a handful sage leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 60ml muscadel
- beaten egg to glaze
1. Prepare the pastry Sift together the dry ingredients, then rub in the butter with your fingers.
2. Mix the lemon juice with the sour cream and knead into the flour mixture to form a dough; then rest in the fridge until ice-cold.
3. Prepare the filling Mix the mince, bacon, apple, sage, onion and muscadel together and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Roll out the pastry, thinly. Cut 8 rounds with a circumference of 11.5cm and 8 rounds with a circumference of 8cm. Brush egg onto the larger rounds and spoon a portion of filling onto each. Now add a lid onto each of the filling mounds and pinch the bottom pastry over the lid, crimping into place; follow the instructions on the video. Repeat with the rest of the pies and arrange on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Make a small steam hole in each pie with a skewer and brush with egg. Bake for about 30–35 minutes at 180°C in a preheated oven until golden brown and cooked through.