Makes about 12 sliders
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 15ml olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 1 tub cream cheese
- 1kg fresh pork mince
- 15ml BBQ spice blend
- 1 small apple, grated (skin and all)
- a handful soft herbs (coriander and basil are delicious), chopped
- oil for shallow-frying
- 15ml each soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sesame oil, mixed
- 12 small bread rolls
- 200g bacon bits, fried
- fresh lettuce
- thin slices pickled ginger, to garnish
1. Make the meatballs: Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the onion, celery, garlic and chilli until glossy. Cool and mix with the cream cheese.
2. Place the pork mince in a clean mixing bowl and add the spices, cream cheese mixture, apple and herbs. Using two forks, mix through gently, making sure not to overwork the mixture as this will result in a tough patty.
3. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the meat into 12 equal portions. Carefully form into meatballs then gently press down to make patties.
4. Shallow-fry the patties in oil until golden-brown on both sides. Lightly brush with the soya sauce mixture towards the end of the cooking time to add flavour and assist with the browning.
5. To assemble: Cut the rolls open and toast the cut side in a pan with a little butter and oil, if desired (or simply use the pan in which you fried the bacon). Spread with mayonnaise to taste, add a little fresh lettuce and then top with the patty, ginger slices and a sprinkling of bacon. Secure with a kebab stick if you like.
Tip: Minced pork isn’t always available in supermarket fridges; order it fresh at your butcher.