1 Combine all the ingredients, except the pork, to make a sauce. Preheat the oven to 140°C.
2 Place the pork in an ovenproof casserole dish. Pour the sauce over the meat and season with salt and pepper. Cover the dish with a lid or foil so it’s tightly sealed. Roast in the oven for 6-8 hours or until the meat is soft enough to flake with a fork. You can turn the meat every now and then; if it seems dry, add a little water.
3 Once the meat is tender, remove it from the oven. If the skin appears dark, don’t be alarmed – cut it off, as well as the fat. Using two forks, flake the meat.
• You can use a leg of pork instead of a pork shoulder.
• The pork is delicious as is with roast potatoes.
• Mix the flaked meat and sauce, and serve with Dijon mustard and gherkins or with slices of apple and coleslaw on a bun.
• The flaked meat makes a great topping for a baked potato or sweet potato.
• It’s also a tasty filling for nachos, rotis or pancakes.