- 15ml - olive oil
- 10ml - curry powder
- 1 - onion, finely chopped
- 750g - pumpkin, cut into small cubes
- 75ml - water
- 50ml - brown sugar
- 50ml - tomato paste
- - salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 500ml - cooked brown lentils (or 2 tins)
- 400ml - milk (or half milk/half cream)
- 2 - eggs, beaten
1 Heat the oven to 180°C and grease an ovenproof dish. Heat the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion until soft. Add the curry powder and stir-fry for another minute. Add the pumpkin and the water, and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer until the water has evaporated and the pumpkin is soft. Add the brown sugar and tomato paste and season with salt and pepper.
2 Arrange layers of pumpkin and lentils in the greased ovenproof dish. Beat the milk (or milk and cream) and the eggs and pour over the top. Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the custard layer has set and is golden-brown.