- 30ml - each olive oil and butter
- 1 - onion, finely chopped
- 200g - button mushrooms, halved
- 1 - clove garlic, chopped
- 500ml - jasmine or long-grain rice
- 60ml - light beer
- - about 500ml vegetable stock
- 60ml - flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 125ml - whole almonds, toasted and chopped
- 1 - large ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 15ml - fresh lemon juice
- - Parmesan shavings, to garnish
1. Heat the oil and butter in a heavy-based pan and sauté the onions until soft and glossy. Stir in the mushrooms and fry until golden-brown. Add the garlic and rice and stir until all the grains are coated with oil.
2. Add the beer and boil rapidly until most of the beer has evaporated. Add the stock, reduce the heat and simmer the rice for about 20–25 minutes. Add more stock if it has all evaporated and been absorbed before the rice is cooked.
3. Remove the rice from the heat as soon as it is al dente; sprinkle with parsley and almonds. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary. Top with the avocado, lemon juice and Parmesan and serve hot or at room temperature.
Tip The earthy flavours are also great with other grains such as barley, brown rice or couscous instead of white rice.