Try kettle-braaied chicken, it has a delicious smokey flavour and the chicken remains juicy.
Makes: 6-8 portions
Preparation time: 20 minutes (plus marinating time)
Cooking time: 45 minutes
• 8 drumsticks
• 200ml plain yoghurt
• 5ml each ground coriander, turmeric, cardamom and paprika
• 10ml garam masala
• 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
• 2cm fresh ginger, grated
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Use a sharp knife to make two shallow incisions in each drumstick so the marinade can be drawn in.
2. Mix all the marinade ingredients in a mixing bowl then pour over the drumsticks, cover and marinate for 1-2 hours or overnight.
3. Braai the chicken over mild coals or in a prepared kettle braai, until golden brown and cooked, brushing marinade over at intervals. Serve with mango atchar salsa.
Mango atchar salsa: Mix one 410g jar of mango atchar with a 400g tin of coconut milk and season with fresh coriander, roasted coconut and peanuts.