- 60.00ml - butter
- 750.00g - onions, thinly sliced
- 3.00cloves - garlic cloves, crushed
- 45.00ml - cake flour
- 1.50litres - beef or vegetable stock
- 250.00ml - dry white wine
- 1.00 - bay leaf
- 3.00sprig - fresh thyme
- 2.00pinch - salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1.00handful - fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 0.50loaf - French loaf, sliced
- 125.00ml - Gruyère cheese, grated
2. Stir in the cake flour until thoroughly combined and then add the beef or vegetable stock, white wine, bay leaf and thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the soup to the boil, reduce the temperature and then leave to simmer over a low temperature for 40-50 minutes.
3. Stir in the parsley shortly before serving the soup. Toast the slices of French bread under a preheated grill. Sprinkle the Gruyère on top and place the bread under the grill again until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Pour the soup into bowls and place a slice of bread on top of each one. Serve extra cheese slices with the soup.