- 60.00ml - butter
- 1.00handful - fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 750.00g - onions, thinly sliced
- 45.00ml - cake flour
- 125.00ml - Gruyère cheese, grated
- 250.00ml - dry white wine
- 0.50loaf - French loaf, sliced
- 3.00cloves - garlic cloves, crushed
- 3.00sprig - fresh thyme
- 1.00 - bay leaf
- 2.00pinch - salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1.50litres - beef or vegetable stock
2. Stir in the cake flour until thoroughly combined and then add the beef or vegetable stock, white wine, bay leaf and thyme. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring the soup to the boil, reduce the temperature and then leave to simmer over a low temperature for 40-50 minutes.
3. Stir in the parsley shortly before serving the soup. Toast the slices of French bread under a preheated grill. Sprinkle the Gruyère on top and place the bread under the grill again until the cheese melts and turns golden brown. Pour the soup into bowls and place a slice of bread on top of each one. Serve extra cheese slices with the soup.