- 3.00 - Sambal: tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
- 120.00ml - sweet chilli sauce
- 60.00ml - soya sauce
- 4.00 - Fritters: fresh mealies
- 2.00 - raw potatoes, roughly grated
- 160.00ml - flour
- 2.00 - bunches of spring onions, chopped
- 1.00 - a handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1.00 - a thumb-length piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2.00 - garlic cloves, crushed
- 3.00 - red chillies, chopped (remove the seeds for less heat)
- 10.00ml - sugar
- 60.00ml - oil for frying
2. Prepare the mealie and potato fritters: Cook the mealies for about 8 minutes in rapidly boiling water and drain. Allow to cool until they can be handled easily. Hold the mealies vertically on a chopping board and cut off the kernels.
3. Mix the kernels, grated potato, flour, spring onions, coriander leaves, ginger, garlic, chillies and sugar to form a thick mixture.
4. Heat the oil in a frying pan and spoon the mixture to form fritters in the frying pan. Fry until golden brown and cooked on both sides. Serve with the sambal.