Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes
- 15ml olive oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 400g baby marrows, thinly sliced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 500ml risotto rice
- 100ml white wine
- about 1.2 litres hot vegetable stock (preferably homemade)
- 50ml butter
- 120ml grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese
- basil leaves
1. Heat the olive oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the garlic until fragrant. Remove and discard. Fry the baby marrows in the garlic oil until soft. Season with salt, pepper and lemon zest and spoon out. Fry the rice in the same pan until glossy – add a little extra olive oil if needed. Add the white wine and reduce. Stir in the stock, 100ml at a time, and cook over high heat until it has been absorbed. Repeat until almost all the stock has been added (20-25 minutes); the rice should still be a bit al dente and not soft. Stir regularly.
2. Add in the vegetables and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Stir in the butter and half the cheese. Let this rest with the lid on for 5 minutes. Stir in another spoonful of stock just before serving so that the risotto is not stodgy. Serve in bowls garnished with the remaining cheese and the basil leaves.