By Johané van Schalkwyk • Photographs: Francois Oberholster
home June 2011
• Serves: 4 • Preparation time: 5 minutes • Cooking time: 20 minutes
• 60ml avocado oil
• 3 large chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
• 250g mushrooms, chopped
• 1 large red onion, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, chopped
• 250ml cream
• 1-2 ripe avocados, chopped
• 400g pasta, cooked in salted water until al dente
1 Mix half of the oil through the chicken, season well with salt and lemon pepper and seal quickly over high heat in a hot pan. Remove and set aside.
2 Fry the mushrooms in the remaining oil, remove from the pan and then fry the onion and garlic until glossy. Add the cream and spoon the mushrooms and chicken back into the pan. Simmer until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has evaporated slightly. Stir the hot, cooked pasta through and top with the avocado and parsley. Serve immediately.
Tip Avocado oil is a brilliant alternative to olive oil as it’s cholestrol-free and contains mono-saturates and antioxidants such as Vitamin E and omegas 3, 6 and 9.