Preparation time: 30 minutes (plus marinating time)
Cooking time: 10-12 minutes
• 30 ml oil
• 2 onions cut in big pieces
• 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 30 ml mild curry powder
• 5 ml turmeric
• 2.5 ml ground coriander
• 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
• 3 bay leaves (for the marinade)
• 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, grated
• 60 ml apricot jam
• 375 ml wine vinegar
• 500 ml buttermilk
• 1.5 kg lamb or mutton, in 25 mm cubes (or use half lamb and half pork)
• soft dried apricots
• extra bay or lemon leaves (for the skewers)
1 Heat the oil in a pot and fry the onion and ginger until soft and glossy.
2 Add the curry and fry for another 2 minutes. Add the spices, chilli, bay leaves, ginger, jam and vinegar and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes.
3 Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely before stirring in the buttermilk. Put the meat in a non-metal type bowl (glass or plastic is ideal; if you’re camping a Tupperware container with a lid is perfect). Pour the marinade over and refrigerate for at least 24 hours.
4 Thread the apricots, bay leaves and meat cubes onto skewers. Braai the sosaties over mild coals until cooked through, brushing some marinade over at regular intervals. Sosaties should not braai for longer than 10 to 12 minutes so be careful not to overcook, as they will dry out and become tasteless.