Makes 8 sosaties
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: about 15 minutes
• 800g leg of pork, cut into 2.5cm cubes
• 1–2 onions, cut into chunks
• 2 green peppers, chopped
• 16 dried apricots
• 16 bay leaves
• 15ml mild curry powder
• 3ml cayenne pepper and smoked paprika
• 5ml each cumin, coriander and mustard powder
• 2cm fresh ginger, chopped
• 15ml apricot jam, warmed
• 30ml olive oil
1. Mix all the ingredients for the marinade and then mix with the meat. Thread the meat followed by the onion, green pepper, apricots and bay leaves onto sosatie skewers and leave to marinate for 15 minutes.
2. Heat a frying pan. Fry the sosaties until cooked through and golden brown on all sides. Beware of allowing the pan to get too hot – the meat should be cooked but still juicy. These sosaties are also delicious grilled in the oven or cooked on the braai. Serve with baked sweet potatoes, salad and lemon wedges.
• Soak the skewers in water beforehand so they don’t burn during the cooking process.
• Avoid too many sweet ingredients such as sugar, honey and syrup in a curry sauce – with the exception of a spoonful of melted smooth apricot jam – as they will make your sauce burn under the grill or over the coals.
• Ask your butcher to cut cubes from a leg of pork for you.