Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 15ml oil
• 8 strips rindless bacon, chopped
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, finely chopped
• 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
• 1 red chilli, chopped
• 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
• 250ml rice
• 1 tin tomatoes
• 750ml vegetable stock
• 1-2 ripe avocados, thinly sliced
1. Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside, keeping 15ml fat in the pan. Fry the garlic and vegetables in this until glossy. Add the rice and stir until all grains are coated in oil.
2. Add the tomatoes and fry for a minute or two, then stir in the stock. Simmer over low heat until the rice is cooked through, but not soggy. Season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle the bacon over. Arrange the avocado slices on top and serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley, coriander or yoghurt.