Spruce up your living room by adding a few décor elements.
Lanie Roux bought this double fronted gem in Observatory, Cape Town many years ago, but only moved in herself recently after finishing her studies abroad. The living room has good bones and beautiful features but needed another layer to make it feel more like home.
Use your mouse: Click and drag to the left to see what this room looks like now.
What we did:
1. We installed some fun wallpaper on one wall. This side of the living room can be very dark, and the light wallpaper helps to lighten the space up.
2. A round rug was placed in the center of the room to define the space better.
3. We got rid of any unused furniture and replaced one of the two square coffee tables with a flea market found bench.
4. Inexpensive throws were used to update the chairs.
5. A pouffe was added to create more seating space.
6. Above the fireplace we placed a mirror to reflect light.
7. Light curtains were hung to finish off the beautiful sash window.
8. An installation of small frames with illustrated post cards by Lee Chul-soo that Lanie collected while traveling in South Korea was hung above an heirloom table.
Sitting bunny R440, Abode. Beveled mirror R199,99, MRP Home. Multi faceted jar R259, @home.
A throw and cushions were added to the armchair. Muslin tap curtains extra length R299 each, knitted throw scatter R350, bird scatter R250, herringbone throw R275, Woolworths.
Gallery frames R59,99 each, MRP Home. Hanging heart R35, @home. Wooden robot R240, wooden candle holder R100, Abode. Belly vase R350, Woolworths, milk bottle jar candle R55, gold leaf vase R79, brown glass jar R149, @home. Asclepia pods R59,99, Woolworths.
By Shelly Bergh
Photographs Megan Miller
Are you in the throes of a makeover project at home or have you recently completed a renovation you’re proud of? Then it’s time to enter our 2016 Fix it with Flair competition. Vouchers from Pennypinchers Timbercity worth R62 000 are up for grabs! In addition, your project will be featured in Home. Tell us your story and enter online now!