Photographs Francois Oberholster • Styling Shelly Bergh
This lounge – previously a drab sand-grey with a cold blue focal wall – has been completely transformed by the introduction of Pictured Rocks, the Dulux Colour of the Year for 2018.
Pictured Rocks, a grown-up pink, was used on the top section of the two-tone focal wall, creating the perfect backdrop for artwork, while Silver Shore, a classic and timeless light grey, has been painted on the bottom section and repeated on the dining room wall. The wall behind the fireplace was enriched with Hot Paprika 1, a mellow earthy shade. Pictured Rocks has been repeated on the door.
Complete your look with different textures – in this instance, a wooden dining room table, basket ware, copper accessories and a charcoal-grey linen wingback chair were used, but a leather couch or occasional chair would work well too.
With 15 years of Colour Futures™ trend research, Pictured Rocks was carefully selected by Dulux experts around the world. Use it as your base colour and pair it with a variety of complementary hues to create the look you want!
The skirtings were given an instant, crisp update with Dulux PearlGlo™ Waterbased in White. Wingback chair from POCO; side table from Blockhouse; basket and scatter from MRP Home; throw and rugs from H&M Home.
Pictured Rocks is also known as Nordic Sails 2 (10YR 28/072)
Making your colour dreams come true is a simple three-step process:
1. Download the Dulux Visualizer app in the Apple App or Google Play stores; this nifty piece of technology makes it possible to ‘see’ what your room will look like using the colours you’ve chosen. Share these with friends and family to get their input too.
2. Dulux offers a wide range of finishes to suit every surface. For an unrivalled depth of colour, make a statement with the Luxurious Silk range. With a mid-sheen finish, superior toughness and low-odour wash-and-wear technology, Luxurious Silk will show your chosen colour at its very best.
3. In this makeover, a simple two-tone wall adds to the sense of tranquillity, but why not consider a bolder touch? At dulux.co.za you’ll find easy-to-follow tips, hands-on expert advice on pairing colours and step-by-step support for achieving paint effects.
Considering a different look?
From left: Copper tray and plant from Woolworths; basket from H&M Home; ceramic bowl, vase and plant in copper pot from @home; candleholder from MRP Home; Basket’s bottom half painted in Madeira Rose Basket from MRP Home; pom-pom throw from @home; Frames painted in Madeira Rose (left and centre) and Santa Rosa (right) Plant from Woolworths
Need more inspiration?
Find the Colour of the Year brochure in stores countrywide for a variety of colour combinations that will suit every mood and style.
Colour references are as accurate as photography will allow. Please refer to the in-store stripe cards or on-shelf colour displays for an accurate representation of the colour.
- @home 0860 666 674, home.co.za
- Blockhouse 021 551 0332
- H&M Home 0860 690 707, hm.com/za
- MRP Home 0800 212 535, mrphome.com
- POCO 021 841 1500, poco.co.za
- Woolworths 0860 022 002, woolworths.co.za