Explore the Milestone Kitchens gallery at milestonekitchens.co.za, reader homes in Tuis|Home, Instagram or Pinterest to find a look you like.
Remember! All Milestone Kitchens units can be customised to further suit your needs.
Keen on a brand-new kitchen that ticks all the boxes? Then enter the Milestone Kitchens Dream Design competition – and soon the heart of your home could boast a fabulous fresh look!
Freestanding kitchen units are super versatile, and with this contest you can explore endless possibilities using Milestone Kitchens’ comprehensive range of handmade items.
All you need to do is dream, measure, select your favourite pieces online at milestonekitchens.co.za, and put pencil to paper. Whoever submits the best design and motivation as to why a kitchen update with Milestone Kitchens freestanding units is the perfect solution for them, will get R100 000 off their ultimate kitchen makeover.
HOW TO ENTER
1 Measure your kitchen and draw the outline on a piece of paper. The scale of your kitchen and kitchen units need not be accurate, but you do have to work with the actual measurements of your space and the units you’d like to use. Indicate windows, especially when placing taller units such as the Coffee Dresser.
2 Go to milestonekitchens.co.za, click on the “Get a Quote” tab and then on the “Design Your Own Kitchen” button and download the Illustrated Price List – this includes illustrations of each available item and its dimensions.
3 Grab a pencil and ruler and start drawing, bearing in mind the measurements of your own kitchen, and the size of each item.4 Once you’re happy, scan your design and attach it to the email with your motivation (no more than 150 words), and send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org.CLOSING DATE 31 May 2022
• You can draw your kitchen plan by hand or digitally, using a program such as SketchUp. Alternatively, you can create your design using Milestone Kitchens’ Kitchen Planner – click on the “Get a Quote” tab on the website, and then on the “Design Your Own Kitchen” button.• The Tuis | Home team in conjunction with Milestone Kitchens will select a winner. The prize includes a 3D design of the winning entry, which will be published in a later issue. You will not be held to your original kitchen plan – you’re welcome to adjust it upon winning the prize and in discussion with the Milestone Kitchens design team.
The idea of designing your own layout might feel a little daunting, but don’t stress! Here are a few tips from the Milestone team, Silvia and Sabrina Miles:
• The working triangle The three key elements in any kitchen are the stove, sink and fridge. For a smooth workflow, movement between these should not be obstructed. If you have a separate scullery, it’s a good idea to have a prep sink in your cooking area.
• Work areas Allocate space near the stove for food preparation and storing ingredients. Either side of the stove is an ideal spot for pot and cutlery drawers, while the wall above is perfect for an easy-to-reach Milestone Kitchens Spice Rack or Wall Unit. Sufficient space next to the sink to drain washed dishes and stack dirty ones is essential, unless you have a dishwasher, in which case be sureto position it near the sink so you only have to plumb one area.A surface near the fridge and pantry cupboard where you can unpack groceries is a good idea.
• A central island with an overhead light is very popular in a modern kitchen. If you have space for one, it’s a good idea to position it near the stove and not too far from the dining area so you can use it to prepare and serve meals. But make sure that it doesn’t interfere with your working triangle.
• Good task lighting is very important – and if you can install more windows, do it!
• Think carefully about surfaces and finishes. With freestanding kitchens, you can mix and match a variety of worktops.For example, you could use stone around your sink area, wood on your island and stainless-steel for a pastry table.
• Create symmetry with shapes, colour and spacing. For example, you could put your tall units (such as the Grocery Cupboard and fridge) on opposite ends of a wall with a stove in the centre.
• When it comes to colour, choose a palette and stick to it. Use bold shades to create features and neutral tones for a more uniform look.
* Winner’s order must be placed by 31 March 2023; Biddulphs International will do free delivery of the kitchen anywhere in RSA.
1 Home competitions are open to anyone in South Africa except the employees of Media24, the competition sponsors, their subsidiaries, promotional and advertising agencies and immediate family members.
2 Prizes will be awarded to the first correct entries drawn and winners will be notified telephonically or via email.
3 SMS competition winners will be chosen at random from the total SMS entries received.
4 The decision of the organisers is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5 Prizes cannot be amended, transferred, extended or exchanged for cash.
6 The sponsors are responsible for fulfilment of the prizes and Home cannot be held responsible for problems or delays in delivery of prizes.
7 Prizes to be redeemed within 6 months of notification; extensions only accepted if agreed upon in writing with prize sponsors.
• Due to Covid-19, product supply may be affected; contact individual stockists to check.