Chef Winifred Nwania’s My Naija Plate has given viewers a warm, indulgent cooking experience since it hit HONEY TV screens in early September. The show explores all the diverse corners and best-kept secrets of Nigerian cuisine, all from the comfort of Chef Winifred’s kitchen. Her quick and easy recipes infuse all the flavour needed to create a tasty meal at a moment’s notice. We asked the show’s host to share her tips on feeding the family on a budget.
1. What's a perfect meal to cook for a family feast?
It would most certainly be some breaded calamari with a mayo garlic sauce as the starter. Jollof rice, stewed or grilled chicken and fried plantains as the main meal, with mini fruity parfait cups for dessert. Then there's no feast without drinks! Lots and lots of drinks!
2. What are your suggestions for feeding a large group on a limited budget?
• Plan meals around food ingredients that are in season.
• Purchase the absolute necessities first.
• Use cheaper and easy-to-source proteins like chicken.
• Look for discounts or bargains when shopping.
• Don't get distracted while cooking so you don't ruin the meal by burning or oversalting the food.
3. Your five go-to ingredients for any meal?
Fresh garlic, lots of onions, fresh pepper, salt and tender chicken thighs or drumsticks. With these ingredients and a few others, you can make any mouth-watering and hearty meal.
4. The biggest no-no when cooking a big meal?
Don’t experiment with a new recipe. Make a meal you have mastered over time.
5. Favourite dessert to make?
My favourite dessert would be mini fruity parfait cups. They are very easy to put together and versatile too. With yoghurt or custard as the base, you can use any colourful additions or treats like fruits, nuts, cakes, chocolate and biscuits to enhance the look and taste.
Catch My Naija Plate every Tuesday at 8:30pm (CAT) on DStv 173.
Follow Chef Winifred Nwania on Instagram #mynaijaplate #HoneyDStv173