Try this chakalaka recipe from Westfalia Fruit – the #AVOEXPERTS. It’s divine!
What can be more delicious than homemade chakalaka? It’s a must-have on any South African table, and it’s incredibly versatile: spoon it over pap and wors, burgers, eggs, veggies and more. To make this chakalaka extra delicious, we’ve added Westfalia Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil, ginger and spices.
Makes about 1,25 litres
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Westfalia Garlic Flavoured Avocado Oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds, crushed
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) coarsely grated fresh ginger
- 1 small red chilli, whole or more to taste
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) mild curry powder
- 2,5 ml (½ tsp) ground turmeric
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and cubed
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 2 x 410 g tins chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) each chopped fresh Italian parsley, thyme and oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the avocado oil in a large saucepan and sauté the onions, coriander seeds and ginger for a few minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the chilli (or chillies) and spices and fry until aromatic.
2. Stir in the pepper and carrots and sauté for a few minutes, until the carrots are soft. Add the vinegar, tomatoes and herbs and bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 20 minutes.
4. Remove the lid and simmer for another 20 minutes or until the chakalaka has thickened slightly.
5. Season with salt and pepper and serve to your preference or in any of the ways mentioned.
If you say avocado – you think Westfalia Fruit, the #AVOEXPERTS. Their locally produced avocados and range of quality avocado products make it easy to enjoy the goodness of avocados throughout the year.
The avocado oil is 100 % pure and ideal to use for any cooking method. There are four flavours in the range to choose from, whether roasting, frying, braaiing or even baking: Plain, Lemon, Garlic and Butter.
Each tub of Westfalia Guacamole is made from about two ripe avocados and packed with healthy goodness. Choose from any of the three flavours in the range – Plain, Spicy or Sweet Chilli Salsa – to use as a convenient dip, spread or sauce.
Whether you cook, braai, bake, pack a picnic or food for the road, make Westfalia Fruit part of your summer festivities.
Think versatile, convenient, and wholesome – think Westfalia Fruit.