Makes: 12 fishcakes
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
• 4 medium-sized potatoes (about 500g), peeled
• about 250g smoked snoek, flaked
• about 450g firm white fish, flaked
• 15ml each fish masala and mild curry powder
• 60ml chopped fresh coriander
• 4 spring onions, white parts finely chopped
• about 125ml flour
• 3 egg whites, whisked (keep the yolks for the mayonnaise)
• about 350ml panko breadcrumbs*
• olive oil and butter for shallow-frying
• lemon wedges, to serve
* Panko is a Japanese-style breadcrumb (panko means bread in Japanese). Panko has a light, flaky texture rather than crumbly and absorbs less oil than regular breadcrumbs when fried; it’s available at Woolworths.
Beat 3 egg yolks, 5 ml Dijon mustard, 5 ml mustard seeds, 15 ml lemon juice and about 3 ml masala curry powder until thick and creamy. Whisk in about 200 ml canola oil, a drop at a time, until the mixture is thick and smooth. (Once half of the oil is whisked in, you can gradually pour in the rest.) Season to taste with salt and pepper and add more lemon juice if desired.