- 125ml - parmesan cheese, grated
- 30ml - butter
- 125ml - black olives, pitted and chopped
- 1.2 litres - water
- 5ml - salt
- 2 - cloves garlic, bruised
- 15ml - rosemary
- 15ml - olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 500ml - yellow mealiemeal
- 1 - each red and green sweet peppers, roasted, skinned and cut into strips
- 60ml - almonds, roasted and chopped
1 Bring the water to the boil in a saucepan. Add the salt and mealiemeal while stirring with a whisk. Cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes or until the mealiemeal is cooked. Stir in the butter and parmesan.
2 Turn out the mealiemeal into a shallow, greased pan (so that it’s about 1cm thick) and set aside to cool.
3 Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Add the garlic and rosemary, and stir-fry for about a minute. Then add the olives and sweet peppers and stir through until warmed.
4 Cut the pap into slices and brush with olive oil. Grill under a preheated element or in a frying pan until golden brown on one side.
5 Place a slice of grilled pap on a plate and top with the olive and sweet pepper mixture. Finish with a sprinkling of almonds and serve.
• If you can’t find yellow mealiemeal, mix a little turmeric into white mealiemeal to give it colour.
• Try serving the mealiemeal slices with parma ham, rocket and shavings of parmesan as an appetising starter or snack.
• Mix together chopped capers, pitted and chopped olives, chopped anchovies, Italian parsley, lemon juice and black pepper to make a robust topping to spoon over the slices. Drizzle with a little olive oil before serving.