Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 4 Italian sausages
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 15ml tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tin (410g) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 60ml Italian parsley, chopped
- 200g cabbage, sliced
- 150g Savoy cabbage, sliced
- 1.5 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tin (400g) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 15ml fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- parmesan shavings (for garnishing)
- pesto or olive oil (for garnishing)
1. Place the sausages in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes before you drain and slice them.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat, then add the onion, carrot and celery and stir-fry until soft (about 10 minutes). Add the sausages and stir-fry until they begin to brown. Add the tomato paste and stir for 1 minute. Add the garlic, tomatoes and half the parsley and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Add half the cabbage, half the Savoy cabbage and 1 litre of stock. Bring to the boil, reduce the temperature and simmer for 30 minutes. 4 Purée half the beans together with some of the cooking liquid. Add the remaining beans, Savoy cabbage and stock and bring to the boil. Boil the soup until the cabbage is soft but retains its fresh, green colour, then add the remaining parsley, the thyme and the bean purée. Season to taste. Pour into warm soup bowls and garnish with parmesan shavings and a spoonful of pesto or olive oil. Serve with fresh bread.